Quantitative Easing: hard to understand, even harder to say…and about to have a serious impact on your property investing plans. In this week’s episode we explain what QE is, what effects it has, and how you can position yourself to take advantage of it.
- A video from the Bank of England explaining the mechanism by which QE works
- A letter to the Chancellor warning of the risks
- A report from the New Economics Foundation assessing QE and proposing an alternative
- TPP024: Inflation – your worst enemy or your best friend?
- TPP168: The disappearing middle class (and what you can do about it)
We also said we’d reproduce a table with some of the figures we discussed in the episode:
Percentage changes in asset prices since 5 March 2009:
- Average mortgage rate: -31%
- UK house prices: 32%
- UK stock market: 87%
- UK stock market with divs reinvested: 138%
- Total return from average deposit account: 5%
- Total return from UK gilts: 47%
- UK inflation: 16%
- Pension annuity rates: -27%
- Gold (in dollar terms): 38%
RESOURCE OF THE WEEK
Google Inbox is a fancy new interface for Gmail that promises to cut down the amount of time you spend answering email – with features like snoozing messages for later, setting reminders, and grouping messages in a way that works for you.
Book your place on our Brexit webinar
We’re holding a free webinar on 7 September at 6pm, talking about what the future has in store for property investment – in the wake of Brexit, QE, and some of the other big themes we’ve talked about on the podcast recently.
There will be absolutely no sales pitch – just an opportunity to hear our analysis of what the future has in store, and get your questions answered.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What effects do you think QE will have for property investors?
We’d love to know, so join the discussion in The Property Hub!
IF YOU ENJOYED THE PROPERTY PODCAST, PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW ON ITUNES
Reviews are really important in helping other people to find the show, so by way of thanks we read out every single review we receive on air.
If you’d like to hear your name on the show, leave us a review on iTunes here.
Not sure how to leave a review? This video shows you how to review and subscribe on iTunes.